Imagine getting that call. You’re desperate for help, and someone on the other line is promising you what you need if only they can get your credit card information first. It’s an all-too-common experience in a world where people are constantly bombarded with ads popping up everywhere, from their computer screen to the back of bus stop benches– but luckily, Google has been working hard at making sure scammers don’t take advantage of those searching for support. They’ve developed LegitScript (and many more programs), which makes it nearly impossible for scams.
Table of Contents
- What is LegitScript?
- LegitScript Certified Benefits
- Do you need to get LegitScript certified?
- The LegitScript Certified Process: What it takes to Get Accredited
- 21 LegitScript certification standards
- How to become LegitScript certified
- Start with the LegitScript application form
- Fill out the first required form
- Fill out the second form
- Look for initial evaluation questions from LegitScript
- Prepare for an on-site visit
- Stay in Compliance
- How SEO North Can Help Ease the Process of LegitScript Certification
- Did this article answer your questions?
What is LegitScript?
LegitScript provides a vetting process for healthcare providers and drug rehabs, ensuring that each business complies with local laws and is required to advertise addiction treatment rehabs. So, whether you’re looking for an addiction treatment center or need your doctor verified as legitimate before prescribing medication, LegitScript has you covered!
LegitScript is a direct result of the HHS declaring the opioid crisis a public health emergency in 2017 after witnessing 42,000 opioid-related deaths in 2016. With this epidemic, there was a significant increase in the need for addiction treatment.
To counter third-party scammers, Google banned all ads targeting drug rehab-related keywords in September 2017. In 2018, Google began allowing facilities to target these keywords if accredited with LegitScript.
LegitScript Certified Benefits
There are numerous advantages to having a LegitScript certification if you are in the Addiction Treatment business. Your clients will be reassured that their information is secure with your organization. They won’t worry about identity theft or medical fraud when choosing you for treatment.
You can make your rehab center stand out from the rest by advertising on Google and Facebook using keywords like “addiction treatment.” Pay-per-click advertisements are a speedy and effective way to see traffic and conversions increase. For example, if you search for terms like “best drug rehabs” or even something more specific such as “alcohol addiction,” there’s likely to be some advertisement relating to rehabilitation centers near me.
In a world where many people are vying for attention, it can be tough to stand out from the crowd. Luckily, LegitScript certification will make your brand much more discoverable!
It also helps you keep up with your competition! When Google started a LegitScript certification requirement several years ago, competitors took the opportunity to advertise on Google and Facebook. To stay relevant, you must catch up to them in online advertising.
LegitScript certification is not just a check for Google. It’s also a way to reassure your patients and loved ones that you’re ethical, leading them to trust you with their lives more easily!
Do you need to get LegitScript certified?
Suppose you’re an in-person addiction treatment facility, recovery industry support group, or a crisis hotline and wish to advertise on Google Ads, then yes. In that case, you will need to be LegitScript certified.
The LegitScript Certified Process: What it takes to Get Accredited
The Legitscipt certified process can be tedious. However, this is where our PPC agency for Healthcare comes in to help you submit the necessary items quickly and efficiently. We have no problem with Google and LegitScript when they inquire about your business’s legitimacy.
21 LegitScript certification standards
To know if your application will be accepted, you must pass the LegitScript standards. Here are some guidelines that they need to consider before receiving approval:
- Provide in-person treatment, a support group, or a helpline (LegitScript’s description.)
- Compliance – Compliant with licensing agreements & laws within your state
- Web content – LegitScript will check your website content to ensure that you have proper explanations of the services provided.
- Qualifications – ensure your center has training in the addiction treatment field.
- Professional setting – addiction facility is an experienced business, not a residential location.
- Facility disclosure – the applicant must reveal all physical properties and corporate entities under its control and to which it refers clients.
- Privacy – all applicants must follow HIPAA privacy laws.
- Medication-assisted treatment – All drugs recommended by the treatment center must be approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- Transparency – Any treatment center that isn’t fully transparent with LegitScript during their application process will be denied.
- Unapproved advertising – advertising on Facebook or Google without a LegitScript certification is grounds for denial.
- On-site inspections – certified must agree that LegitScript can inspect their property and facilities at any time.
- Co-ownership – you are not allowed to have any relationship or affiliation with a lead generator.
- Incentives – applicants are required to disclose all incentives that they offer their patients in return for their services. If you do provide specific incentives, your application will likely be denied.
- Business practices – you are not allowed to give offers that deceive or defraud patients or the public in any way, shape, or form.
- Insurance – applicant must provide proof of insurance to operate a facility to be accepted.
- Background and history – The applicant’s criminal background check and critical staff members over the past ten years.
- Facility location – Applicants must provide lease information for the establishment of their facility.
- Policies and procedures – you must provide written policies and procedures that prove to LegitScript that they operate under best practices and want to give the patients the best care.
- Domain name registration – The applicant must provide the website of the treatment center and any other domains names it owns under the business name.
- Business registration – Your business must be a Registered LLC or Corporation
- Payment – approx. $995 upfront application costs and $1995 annual vetting charge
How to become LegitScript certified
If you’re a rehab center looking to become LegitScript certified, follow our step-by-step process below!
Start with the LegitScript application form
This part will inform you about the certification process and what to expect as you apply.
Fill out the first required form
Two forms are required to become LegitScript certified. The first form determines if you are eligible. It will also give you the cost associated with the application.
Fill out the second form
The second form will appear after you’ve made a payment to LegitScript. This form asks questions about your facility to help determine if you are eligible to become certified.
Look for initial evaluation questions from LegitScript
After you’ve filled out the two forms, they will send you a series of follow-up questions.
Prepare for an on-site visit
This visit will ensure all requests have been completed.
Party after getting LegitScript approved.
Stay in Compliance
Ensure you don’t waver in the process of staying in the agreement.
The process of getting Legitscipt certified can be tedious. However, this is where our PPC agency for Healthcare comes in to help you submit the necessary items quickly and efficiently so that we will have no problem with Google and LegitScript when they inquire about your business’ legitimacy.
How SEO North Can Help Ease the Process of LegitScript Certification
SEO North is here to make this process smoother and more efficient. Not only will our experts help obtain this certification, but they’ll also handle paid advertising, so you don’t have to! We intend to ensure that you can concentrate on attending to your patients while we worry about the technical part of your business.
With 20+ years of combined expertise in digital marketing within addiction treatment, our organization knows your website needs to convert expertly at the most inexpensive cost possible. Get in touch with us today, and we can help you get more people through your doors!
What is LegitScript certification?
LegitScript Certification is a compliance certification that online pharmacies, supplement sellers, addiction treatment providers, and other healthcare-related businesses can obtain to demonstrate that they operate legally, safely, and transparently.
The certification is widely recognized and is a requirement for online advertising and e-commerce platforms like Google, Bing, and Facebook. These platforms require LegitScript Certification for certain categories of advertisers to ensure that the businesses advertising on their platforms comply with all relevant laws and regulations.
In order to get certified, businesses must go through an application process during which LegitScript verifies a range of information, including:
- The legality of the business: This includes verifying that the business is properly registered and licensed in all jurisdictions where it operates.
- The safety of the products or services being offered: LegitScript checks that the products or services being sold or provided do not pose a risk to consumer safety.
- The transparency of the business operations: LegitScript verifies that the business is clear about its policies, procedures, and the nature of its services or products.
Once certified, businesses are monitored by LegitScript to ensure ongoing compliance.
Obtaining a LegitScript Certification can be beneficial for businesses because it can improve their reputation, increase consumer trust, and enable them to advertise on major online platforms. However, the process can be complex and require considerable time and effort to complete.
What does it mean to be LegitScript certified?
Being LegitScript certified means that your healthcare-related business, such as an online pharmacy, telemedicine provider, or addiction treatment facility, has been vetted and recognized as operating in accordance with LegitScript’s certification standards as well as legal and safety requirements.
The certification process includes reviewing the business’s practices, policies, and products or services to ensure that they are legal, safe, and transparent. LegitScript, a trusted third-party verification and monitoring service, checks these parameters during the certification process.
Being LegitScript certified means:
- Legality: Your business has demonstrated that it operates in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. This includes things like having the necessary licenses and registrations in all jurisdictions where you operate.
- Safety: The products or services your business offers have been vetted for safety. For example, LegitScript ensures that pharmacies only sell FDA-approved medications.
- Transparency: Your business has proven that it operates in a transparent and forthright manner. This includes clear communication of pricing, policies, and the nature of your products or services.
- Trustworthiness: Being LegitScript certified enhances the credibility of your business, as customers and partners can trust that you’ve met high standards of legality, safety, and transparency. This can help build customer trust and increase conversion rates.
- Advertising: Many online advertising and e-commerce platforms, like Google, Facebook, and Bing, require LegitScript certification for certain categories of advertisers. So, having this certification can expand your online advertising opportunities.
- Monitoring: Once certified, LegitScript continues to monitor your business to ensure ongoing compliance, adding another layer of trust for your customers and partners.
It’s important to note that the specifics of LegitScript certification may vary depending on the type of business, and standards may evolve over time. Always refer to the most recent guidelines and standards published by LegitScript.
What are LegitScript certification costs?
The cost of LegitScript certification varies depending on a number of factors, including the size and type of your business, the number of products you sell, and the countries in which you operate.
The fees for LegitScript certification could include an application fee, a certification fee, and ongoing monitoring fees. These fees could range from several hundred to several thousand dollars per year. For the most accurate and up-to-date information on LegitScript certification cost, I would recommend reaching out to LegitScript directly or visiting their official website. They should be able to provide a detailed quote based on your specific business needs.
How do I get LegitScript approved?
Obtaining LegitScript Certification involves a process that requires you to provide comprehensive information about your business. Here’s a broad outline of how you could go about it:
- Application: Go to LegitScript’s official website and start the application process for the certification that fits your business (Pharmacy, Supplement, Addiction Treatment Provider, etc.). The application process will require you to provide detailed information about your business.
- Documentation: You will need to provide a range of documents as part of the application process. This could include business licenses, registrations, policies and procedures, supplier agreements, and other relevant documentation.
- Verification: LegitScript will verify the information you’ve provided, which may involve contacting your suppliers, regulators, and other parties. They will also review your website and marketing practices.
- Compliance: You will need to demonstrate compliance with all relevant laws and regulations, as well as LegitScript’s own certification standards. These standards cover a wide range of areas, from the safety of your products to the transparency of your business practices.
- Monitoring: If your application is successful, you will be awarded LegitScript Certification and your business will be monitored by LegitScript to ensure ongoing compliance. This may involve regular reviews and audits.
Please note that obtaining LegitScript Certification can be a complex process and it may be beneficial to seek professional advice to help navigate it. Be prepared for the application process to take some time and remember that there are costs associated with obtaining and maintaining the certification.
How long does it take to get LegitScript approval?
The length of time it takes to receive LegitScript approval can vary. It primarily depends on the complexity of your business, the completeness of your application, and how quickly you can provide any additional information LegitScript may request.
Typically, the review process may take several weeks, but it could take longer in certain circumstances, particularly if LegitScript requires more documentation or if there are complex legal or regulatory issues involved.
Remember that your cooperation in promptly responding to requests for additional information can help expedite the process.
We’ve seen it take 6 months to a year to obtain approval
Published on: 2021-08-03
Updated on: 2023-07-12