It’s easy to add yourself to Google search! Here’s how to create your Google People Card (a virtual business card) and ensure that you appear when someone searches for you, helping you improve your online presence for searchers. This Google Search Card is great for digital marketing experts, Influencers, SEO freelancers, and business professionals to build personal branding. Plus, find out how to control what information is shared on your People Card. This is a great way to keep your personal and professional life separate!
Table of Contents
How to add yourself to Google Search
Open your Mobile Device
Adding yourself to Google only works on a Mobile device, using Google Search or the Google App.
If you haven’t already, sign in to your personal Google Account. Ensure you have a Google Profile Picture and have your personal contact information filled out in the account.
Install a VPN
You will need to use a VPN to spoof your location if you do not live in India, Kenya, Nigeria, or South Africa. I live in Canada; I used a VPN to make it appear I lived in South Africa.
Other requirements are:
- Your language must be set to English
- The feature is only available on mobile devices (Android, iPhone or iPad)
- You will need a mobile browser or the Google Search App
- You must have a personal Google account (i.e., email@example.com)
- Your account Web & App Activity must be turned on
Perform a Google Search
Perform a Google search for “add me to search.”
You can only use Google as a Search Engine for this, as it needs to be a Google search result.
Add yourself to search
Click on Get Started under Add yourself to Google Search
Fill out the basic information about yourself.
These fields include work, education, hometown, website, social profiles.
In the context of social media profiles, you can link to your Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Pinterest, SoundCloud, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
For the most part, you will be able to enter all information manually. There are two exceptions – email and phone number.
Preview your information, ensuring it is correct.
View your Google Card
Now that the information has been saved, you can view the live information on Google Search.
Conclusion: Add me to Google search
As you can see, it’s easy to add yourself to Google search! By creating your Google People Card, you are ensuring that you appear when someone searches for you. Plus, you learned how to control what information is shared on your People Card. Creating and managing your card only takes a few minutes, but the benefits could last a lifetime!
Why is ‘Add me to Search’ not showing?
If you are searching for “add me to search” and do not see a “get started” button. Three things can cause the error:
- Your IP address is not set to India, Kenya, Nigeria, or South Africa. You will need a VPN to appear in that location. “Add me to Search” is not yet avaliable in the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, etc,.
- You are not logged into a ‘@gmail’ account in your browser. GSuites business email addresses do not work.
- You are not on a mobile device. “Add me to Search” only works on Mobile browsers or the Google Search App.